We are forking D

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 17:53:27 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 7 January 2024 at 11:54:16 UTC, bomat wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 January 2024 at 03:12:48 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
[snip]

>> That D hasn't taken over the world is beside the point; good
>> things aren't always popular, e.g., Scheme, and sometimes bad
>> things are very popular, e.g., Windows, JavaScript, C/C++.
>
> Now this is the point where I have to totally disagree with
> you. It doesn't suffice for a system to be well designed and
> great to use "in theory", there must also be tooling,
> documentation, thousands if not millions of samples, and an
> active community.

I said nothing about good tooling, documentation, etc. Of
*course* those are necessary for something to be "good", which
I'd point out, was *my* definition of "good", as "My opinions, of
course" was intended to convey.

> Otherwise it will not feel safe to embrace it - certainly not
> for companies, but to a lesser extent for every single
> developer.
> If you look at your list of examples again - regardless if you
> deem them "good" or "bad" - this is something that every single
> one of them has, and which their competitors *don't*.
> If you google for a problem/question you have with any of the
> mentioned things, you are *very likely* to find a viable
> solution.
>
> In short, in order for something to be successful, it already
> has to be successful. This is a paradox that has been written
> about a lot and by much smarter people than me, and it is
> mysterious to most why some few projects have achieved to get
> over this hump while millions of others haven't.

It all depends on how you define "successful". If you define
success as having a huge user community, then your paragraph
above applies. I would argue that there are alternative ways to
measure success. Is Scheme a success? OpenBSD? JS Bach? I say
emphatically "yes" (especially regarding Bach) and yet all of
them have user communities orders of magnitude smaller than their
most popular competitors.