We are forking D

Lance Bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Jan 7 21:12:11 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 7 January 2024 at 17:47:37 UTC, monkyyy wrote:

> zig will probably win the c killer race

The race is over for a language like Zig that requires you to
learn a new syntax and do things differently. Rust has the users
that don't want GC, and Go has those that do. D has the advantage
that you can write C code as you've always done, mixing in
conveniences as you go. Predictions are always tough when they
involve the future, but it's hard to see Zig gaining much
traction when Rust and Go are established in that area. (I
haven't looked at Zig recently. Maybe things have changed. I
couldn't find a reason to use it when I investigated earlier.)