We are forking D

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:58:50 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 7 January 2024 at 16:43:17 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:
> Whether there are useful insights from this or any other fork
> will depend on what they do with it. If there's too much
> incompatibility of code, due to breaking changes, it won't have
> much effect. There's already Nim, Rust, Go, Zig, etc., to
> compare with and the forks will in each case be just another
> language.

Realistically speaking, the competition in "System level
programming language" is really tough, and it's unreasonable to
compete there. But there simply isn't a language that's as easy
to use as C#, and as quick and performing as C++. I came to D
from C++ thinking it would be a good match, and it really is. At
times, it even outperforms C++ in some aspects! Now if only it
had as good of a standard library as C#, it would be a blessing
upon as all.

There simply isn't a GC based language that can be as quick as
C++ and as quick to write in as C#. D already has one point, get
the other one going and it would be unlike anything else on the
market.