We are forking D

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 02:58:58 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 7 January 2024 at 21:58:50 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:

> There simply isn't a GC based language that can be as quick as
> C++

That's perhaps true of languages whose only memory-management
method is GC-based. D isn't such a language. You can frequently
avoid use of the GC in D because you have multiple
memory-management techniques at your disposal.

I'm going to say something now that should be known by people who
write code professionally, but is too often overlooked (I base
this on many years of experience needing to convince people not
to optimize prematurely and without having measured why their
code doesn't perform as they would like). I'm not suggesting that
you are guilty of this. I simply want it said explicitly.

The speed of the code generated by the language you are using is
not necessarily the determining factor of the speed of your
application. If your application is not cpu-limited and written
in Python, re-writing it in C++ in pursuit of better performance
is going to be a disappointment. If your application *is*
cpu-limited but spends most of its time in some library,
e.g.,sqlite, or in system-calls, re-writing it in C++ will only
help in proportion to the time spent in your own code, which is
small by assumption.

My point is that the performance vs. ease-of-coding tradeoff is
not simple. It takes some smart engineering for a project to be
near the sweet spot.