We are forking D

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 03:49:04 UTC 2024

On Monday, 8 January 2024 at 23:42:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/8/2024 11:44 AM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>> I'm not saying we should drop specs of course, in fact I
>> consider them a requirement at this level, rather that we
>> should understand their limitations and the benefits provided
>> by working code with examples.
>
> I agree, and that's why specifications usually include
> examples. Examples in the spec should be specific and minimal.

Yes, examples are good but there is a qualitative difference
between the pseudo-code of never compiled examples in a
standalone spec and the actual code of examples compiled by a
prototype implementation.

Additionally noted earlier: a naked spec (no implementation)
tempts us to speculate about the relative difficulty and
invasiveness of the eventual, often long delayed, implementation.

I don't think we should require an implementation to accompany a
proposal.  I do think, however, that proposals that have them
will be easier to evaluate properly and deserving of expedited
review.