We are forking D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 9 04:11:30 UTC 2024

On 1/8/2024 7:49 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> I don't think we should require an implementation to accompany a proposal.

We don't. We just require an accurate description (i.e. a specification), rather
than suggesting reviewers reverse engineer the implementation. Implementations
do a lot more than just be a specification - they manage memory, have
optimizations, have workarounds for language problems, manage error handling,
deal with the operating system, deal with configuration switches, and on and on.

> I do
> think, however, that proposals that have them will be easier to evaluate
> properly and deserving of expedited review.

That's true.