We are forking D

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 19:32:10 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 15:01:28 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It's not just the slow procesing of PRs. It's the arbitrary
> shutdown of contributions after months, often years, of
> silence, with no prior warning and no regard of the amount of
> work put into maintaining said PRs over that length of time.
> And often while totally misunderstanding what was actually
> done, as is being shown right at this moment with the
> discussion on DIP 1036e.

Though I don't have a long-standing track record of contributing
to D, my futile attempts to even get anywhere were so painfull I
just stopped bothering very quickly. It always sucks to get
critisized, but it sucks extra when you're not even told what to
do with this criticism. Most of the time, D community seems to
try and look like it cares about the end user, but in reality
(this thread is a confirmation) it's just pointless bantering
about something that the end user doesn't care about. More
importantly, this pointless bantering is used as an escape goat
to shut down changes that DLF doesn't want/like, yet DLF itself
never bothers with breakage if it implements some kewl new
feature that nobody asked for.

As a result, the string interpolation that works very well right
now in opend, can't get into upstream D because someone just
doesn't want to accept it. On the other hand, the same someone
has spent an entire year on a feature that still doesn't work
even remotely well.

> It's fascinating that Walter did not relate to this at all, but
> readily jumped into a lengthy technical discussion of a
> tangentially related topic.

Which is why a fork was created in the first place.

> I dont see how a D fork managed by Ruppe could be managed in a
> better way

Actually, Adam might be the only person that is genuinely
interested in getting things done. He is very quick to answer and
__never__ goes down to pointles philosophical discussions.