We are forking D

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:56:27 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 15:19:18 UTC, Nick Treleaven
wrote:
> You may believe that but you can't know that your sentence is
> true. There's a good principle: 'Never attribute to malice that
> which can adequately be explained by incompetence'. It does
> both you and the recipient no good to insist on malice.

I am not "believing" that, I am __seeing__ that. See those for
example
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10460 -- Reverts commit without
even notifying the person who did that commit
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9881 -- no reason for reverting
is given at all
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9880 -- reverted because it
breaks something that has nothign to do with DMD in the first
place. Perfectly reasonable argument by Adam is simply ignored.
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12828 -- this is the saddest
thing that personally broke my heart to see. A community
consensus was reached, Walter reverts anyway. One of the
important contributors leave.

> There are times when reverting things is necessary for the good
> of users in future, even if it upsets some people.

Unfortunately, we are talking about _everyone_. Not jsut some
people.

> Then why do people use Rust? People here use @nogc and
> -betterC. Some kind of ownership/borrowing system is the go-to
> solution for memory-safety without a GC.

Because people cared, they created Rust. On the other hand, all
of that is up for removal in OpenD (at least we are actively
discussing that)

> OTOH, users have complained about features not being finished
> or not interacting with other features how they want. So it's a
> great thing for users when language maintainers are careful
> when people want to add features or break compatibility.
> Fortunately I think the DLF have accepted the need for
> editions, so compatibility won't be so much of an issue.

This is not the point that is being argued. The point is, Walter
demands perfection when it's someone else, yet allows his subpar
code slip in all the time.