We are forking D

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Wed Jan 10 16:15:57 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 15:56:27 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> I am not "believing" that, I am __seeing__ that. See those for
> example
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10460 -- Reverts commit
> without even notifying the person who did that commit
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9881 -- no reason for
> reverting is given at all
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9880 -- reverted because it
> breaks something that has nothign to do with DMD in the first
> place. Perfectly reasonable argument by Adam is simply ignored.
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12828 -- this is the saddest
> thing that personally broke my heart to see. A community
> consensus was reached, Walter reverts anyway. One of the
> important contributors leave.

I looked at the last one, that doesn't prove malice. (As the
first one I looked at wasn't clearly malice I didn't bother
looking at the others). I agree it would be nice if there was a
brief reason given in the description, but at least the reason
was posted in a comment. No one is perfect every day.

>> There are times when reverting things is necessary for the
>> good of users in future, even if it upsets some people.
>
> Unfortunately, we are talking about _everyone_. Not jsut some
> people.

Please don't exaggerate. Probably most D users don't even post on
the forum. And what about future users?

>> Then why do people use Rust? People here use @nogc and
>> -betterC. Some kind of ownership/borrowing system is the go-to
>> solution for memory-safety without a GC.
>
> Because people cared, they created Rust. On the other hand, all
> of that is up for removal in OpenD (at least we are actively
> discussing that)

The fact people here use -betterC refutes your point that D users
are not interested in avoiding the GC. Please don't make that
point in future.

>> OTOH, users have complained about features not being finished
>> or not interacting with other features how they want. So it's
>> a great thing for users when language maintainers are careful
>> when people want to add features or break compatibility.
>> Fortunately I think the DLF have accepted the need for
>> editions, so compatibility won't be so much of an issue.
>
> This is not the point that is being argued. The point is,
> Walter demands perfection when it's someone else, yet allows
> his subpar code slip in all the time.

If you mean @live, that's under a preview switch. If you mean
importC, that's a compiler feature, not part of the D language.