We are forking D

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:28:06 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 15:32:11 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 13:30:02 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>>
>> Let's start from a common point: we all care about D, let's
>> try to be positive and find out if there's a good way to move
>> forward and solve the kind of problems that we are facing with
>> this situation.
>
> Exactly.
>

>> I honestly ask, you have suggestions?
>
> Yes, but I don't think I would be more relevant than what the
> DLF say itself.
>
> What I observe is that we've given ample space to a discourse
> that fantasize a horrible destiny for D, and sometimes just
> plain impoliteness, while from where I stand all kinds of
> issues go away over time, 50 of my 64 Buzilla entries have been
> solved (and the other don't matter), and in D industry meetings
> some have nothing to ask for! And everyone seems to be liking
> D. How do you reconcile that?

Everyone like D, and everyone would like more, not less, work
that people like Adam constructed in the past years. Me and my
company would like more work like the excellent sumtype inclusion
in Phobos, to give you a concrete example.

But again, that's OT. I reiterate: what we can do to have a best
handling of events that resulted in what we are seeing today, the
fork. I've given my suggestion, we need more people like Steven
and his attitude as maintainers.

> The core of the doom discourse is that somehow core team limits
> D, I feel instead that the community fails to be supportive
> when it needs to and even accept users behaving in a
> unprofessional way...

Maybe, but I think that the common feeling is exactly the
opposite, and that's what I've observed since many, many, many
years. Things are moving toward better in recent months, so it's
seems to me that's the right time to tackle this specific issue,
as it seems at hand.

To be clear, I don't care if at the end interpolation is merged
or not, I care to see improvements in way people are managed.

> If it were for the common good it would be worth it, but I
> think we're learning eventually that putting up with bad
> behaviour is not worth it.

I totally agree, and I reiterate:  how to avoid to rouse people
to that point?

/P