We are forking D

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:23:32 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 11:24:29 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 10:40:51 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> Let's come back to pragmatism:
>> - everyone thinks DIP1038e is far better than DIP1027
>
> This isn't strictly true.
>
> Some people like me don't care at all don't have time to read
> DIP and arguments, and trust the core team to choose for them.
> It's called having someone responsible for the design.
>
> I'm in the camp of people fed up hearing about string
> interpolation for the last 3 months, and all the drama
> surrounding it. I'd rather not have string interpolation than
> just hearing about people complaining for months. Because this
> is what happened and at this point I can very well live without
> variables in quotes.
>
> That's from seeing the leadership fence off bad ideas since
> years and years.
> A lot of the times, about the right decision was taken.
> It's painful seeing people becoming ever more demanding of
> open-source projects.
>
> And I remember very well this community to be against
> introduction of @nogc, of UDAs (there was massive backlash), of
> -betterC, of memory-safety... including me.

I am surprised there was a massive backlash towards UDAs.

The idea of **Attributes** that was handled at compile time
sounds awesome. Maybe its initial plans had various flaws?

I am not sure when UDAs were added to D. Taking a guess, its must
be pre-2016. I am sure UDAs existed when I started viewing D more
seriously.

Assuming the backlash is correct, I think it is a good example of
understanding what the community wanted from D at the time. I
mean, if UDAs were first introduced in more recent times, I
believe it would be met positively by the community. Maybe I am
wrong?

If I am correct then it shows where the community categorize D
back then compared to now. Rather than being a C++ killer.. I
think many view D more in competition with C# now... so things
like UDA would be more of a welcoming idea.

It shows how things change in 10 years. What is "cool" today
might not be the case down the road. For me, I find UDAs to be a
welcoming feature of D.

I think OpenD will be even closer to competing with C# than C++
if it succeeds. Again - we shall see in a few years.