We are forking D

zjh fqbqrr at 163.com
Wed Jan 10 12:36:42 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 12:23:32 UTC, Martyn wrote:

> If I am correct then it shows where the community categorize D
> back then compared to now. Rather than being a C++ killer.. I
> think many view D more in competition with C# now... so things
> like UDA would be more of a welcoming idea.
>
> It shows how things change in 10 years. What is "cool" today
> might not be the case down the road. For me, I find UDAs to be
> a welcoming feature of D.
>
> I think OpenD will be even closer to competing with C# than C++
> if it succeeds. Again - we shall see in a few years.

Having an `'openD'` branch is not necessarily a bad thing. The
main thing is that there should be `communication` between the
`'openD'` and the `'dmd'` main branch!

Some functions are available for both OpenD and DMD, so they
should be able to provide feedback to `DMD` If dmd is
appropriate, vice versus, you can also provide `feedback` to
`openD`.

This way, `'openD'` mainly competes similarly to `'C#'`! And
`'dmd'` focuses on competing with `'C++/rust'` and others!