We are forking D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jan 10 17:21:26 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 15:40:55 UTC, Nick Treleaven
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 22:10:45 UTC, Lance Bachmeier
> wrote:
>> If you contribute this work to the fork, you'll have folks to
>> try it out and provide feedback, and you won't have to add
>> experimental flags to the compiler or mess with the compiler
>> at all.
>
> My impression so far is that the openD fork may diverge too far
> from dmd to be able to merge changes upstream. They've already
> changed the layout of the repositories - combining phobos and
> ldc into the compiler one. Maybe my git knowledge is not
> perfect, but it seems to have made merging openD changes back
> into dmd much more awkward.

It's hard to say at this point. A fork doesn't have to diverge
terribly far from upstream. This fork would be quite helpful if
it provided a way to experiment with new ideas that could be
merged upstream - something that doesn't happen enough now.