We are forking D

M. M. matus at email.cz
Wed Jan 10 19:22:22 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 January 2024 at 17:46:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Judging from the responses to this thread, it seems clear that
> the current upstream team is not interested in changing their
> direction. Which means that merging features back from the fork
> is probably not going to happen, since these features generally
> would be those that upstream has rejected.  So I'm not holding
> my breath.

Maybe... But from the discussions on the forum it rather seems
that the problem is not the features being rejected but the speed
in which they are discussed, and sometime the seemingly
reluctance of Walter to try to understand what the community
thinks (like safe for extern(c) or now the interpolate strings).

Yet, taking time to accept features may be beneficial. Imagine
that the first dip of Adam and Steven would be accepted, or the
original DIP1036. We would never come to the DIP1036e, which I
hope will be accepted. (After Attila reverse engineers the
implementation...)