We are forking D

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 23:14:56 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 21:56:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/9/2024 10:23 AM, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> * Languages such as D need a BDFL who spends more time
>> managing and orchestrating developments than cutting their own
>> code.
>
> The trouble is there are some coding problems that only I can
> resolve. For example, nobody else is crazy enough to have
> embedded a C compiler into D. Heck, I thought it was a crazy
> idea for a couple decades.
>
> Would anyone else have implemented an ownership/borrowing
> system for D? It exists as a prototype in the compiler now,
> though it's been fallow for a bit as too many other things are
> happening. I know its design is controversial (Timon doesn't
> like it at all!), and it hasn't yet proven itself.
>
> Many bugzilla issues get forwarded to me because nobody else
> seems to want to or are able to fix them.
>
> I've been slowly working on restructuring the front end so it
> is more understandable and tractable.
>
> I'm also very impressed with how far along Razvan and Dennis
> have come in being able to deal with difficult compiler
> problems.

Nobody is asking you to solve all the problem, I'm here for
almost 20 years now, following and actively using (taking unfair
advantages?) of D at work.

I've the impression that things are slowly moving on, and right
now it's a pivot point for D history, just like as it was turning
it open source, or the joining of Andrei and the first book,
something similar.

You, Walter, created an incredible useful language (and a
beautiful one!), so you have all my respect, it's clear in my
mind how big the effort was in the past, and still it is: I've
followed your effort since pre D1.

A fork can revitalise D, as Rust, and the flourishing of other
new modern languages shock C++ , I think all the best about Adam,
he is able to produce an incredible amount of code that actually
DO the job.  I will not bet against the failure of OpenD,
ironically Adam is VERY pragmatic.

And pragmatism was what first attracted me to D,  pragmatic view
about problems: we have a big problem right now, so let's try to
find a way to resolve it in a pragmatic way.

The D programming language does not need another Kenji event. D
can't loose talented contributors just for the sake of
"formatting": that was an incredible fool example of total
nonsense, and the net loss for the community was terribly hight.

Pragmatically, again, D core members need to sit down (hopefully
in front of a good beer!) and find an escape path. My humble
suggestion, from what I see and I've seen in the past.

Literally NOBODY is on DIP 1027 camp. This means that EVERYONE
sometimes is wrong, also if not convinced at all. There should be
a mechanism that triggers in that case: “Logic clearly dictates
that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.", How
am I to contradict Spock? With this mechanism in place, DIP
DIP1036e should be merged. Yes, the same happened with safe by
default.

Also, add a third person to the Walter/Atila duo, a member of the
community with better focus and understanding about the attitude
of the community, but also a strong tech view of D.

My ideal choice would be Steven (but hey, maybe Steven is
horrified by the idea), as Mike is already doing a great job in
his role.

As someone said, a modest proposal.

/P