named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

Bradley Chatha sealabjaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:51:21 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 13:29:30 UTC, zjh wrote:
> D needs a `global task list` and arranges for people to execute
> it.
> What D needs is `organization`, and it is a `strong
> organization`!

We used to have something similar (but not exactly the same) as
this via the leadership's vision documents:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision_statements

It'd contain things like a wishlist of features, "champions
needed" tasks, etc.

My favourite is the 2016H2 document, because of the Phobos
wishlist:

```
     Eliminate Phobos dependency on GC (in other words, make GC
opt out a viable and simple option).
     Review all Phobos modules for compatibility with ranges -
std.zip, for example, was done before ranges and does not work
with them
     Replace modules that are lacking in quality: json, xml
     Strengthen definition of ranges, possibly improve API
     New modules such as: containers, SI units, rational numbers,
fixed-point numbers, big decimals, unit testing framework,
benchmarking, linear algebra.
     Use -cov to improve code coverage of Phobos modules
     Make sure every function in Phobos has an example
     Make sure every function in Phobos has Params: and Returns:
sections
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Phobos_Documentation_-_call_to_action_258777.html
     Take inspiration from popular modules in other languages for
adding modules to Phobos
     Improve green threads/fiber support
     Create a module that enables code to be run on GPUs
     Create the interface code to the C++ STL
     Review all of Phobos for @safe compatibility
     Remove dependency on autodecode from Phobos
```

(I wish I had a better skillset back then to try to help out :( )

Sadly these wishlists never really lead to much progress from
what I remember, so they got semi-silently dropped.