named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:52:20 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 14:34:57 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> I think everyone has their own explanation for why D isn't
> catching on as much as people would hope. These aren't my
> reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some people
> who are turned away by these issues.

Don't focus on the exact list of issues. It's indeed going to
differs, but there is a pattern, and what matters is the pattern.
These issue are all implementation problem with current features
that we have now today. I could have added 10x more by spending a
little more time. For instance, demangling support for various
debuggers would be tremendously valuable.

Large D project suffers much more from poor or problematic
implementation of current feature  than they do from the lack of
this or that language gizmo.

In addition, improving these things is direct value added to
users at little no no cost to the them. They get the same things
as before, it just works better.

On the other hand, the cost of new feature - even desirable ones,
is greatly underestimated by what I can only assume is a self
selected crowd of people who use little tools when coding.