named arguments, string interpolation, please stop.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Jan 11 18:20:29 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 05:52:20PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 January 2024 at 14:34:57 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> > I think everyone has their own explanation for why D isn't catching
> > on as much as people would hope. These aren't my reasons, but I
> > wouldn't be surprised if there are some people who are turned away
> > by these issues.
> >

> Don't focus on the exact list of issues. It's indeed going to differs,
> but there is a pattern, and what matters is the pattern. These issue
> are all implementation problem with current features that we have now
> today.
[...]

I heard this story once, about a company that wanted to succeed and be
the best of the best.  So they hired only the best people -- you had to
be either the best in your area, or you're not hired.  With every
employee an expert, the company should succeed, right?

Unfortunately, what actually happened is that projects started to fail
and people starting quitting.  Why?  Because nobody was interested to
take care of the menial, but necessary tasks.  The experts found it too
boring to work on maintenance when they could be inventing new features.
So nobody took care of the basic stuff and projects were failing.  When
management realized this, they started assigning people to work on it.
That's when people started quitting -- the experts were hired to do the
interesting work, they did not want to deal with the boring stuff.
Eventually the company went the way of the dodo.

//

It's always more exciting to work on new features, to invent the next
thing that will revolutionize D.  Improving the quality of existing
features?  Too boring, too tedious, and totally unrewarding.  Guess what
gets done, and what doesn't.

The two rules of success: 1. Don't tell everything you know. -- YHL