We are forking D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 14 08:28:00 UTC 2024

On 1/11/2024 9:40 AM, a11e99z wrote:
> 2) allow fat pointers for GC-refs and class' userdata-field.
> let people enjoy to invent something useful or just integrate GoGC or Nim'ORC.

Microsoft did this with their "Managed C++" project. C++ had two fundamental
pointer types, one for GC memory and the other for non-managed memory.

I'm told it is still around, but it never caught on.

I expect it had similar issues that DOS C compilers had. They had 3 pointer
types - near pointers, far pointers, and huge pointers (and sometimes stack
pointers and code pointers, too!). That often meant a function had to have
multiple versions, one for each pointer type.

It was wonderful to get away from that and have only one pointer type to deal with.