The forked elephant in the room

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 09:46:11 UTC 2024

As seen on this very same forum / mailing list, some of the
members of
the community have decided to fork D over disagreements with how
things are being run.

D is an open source project, and as such in a way meant to be
forked. The D leadership does not endorse the fork, but we also
do not
bemoan the people who are involved. We think it is unfortunate
that
our scant resources are going to be split, but we acknowledge
that we
have as much control over that as we usually do getting
contributors
to work on what we think is important.

I personally am going to continue working on a spec [1] for Adam
Ruppe's work [2] on string interpolation. I think he has done
great
work and see no reason to not make a D a better language because
of
this fork. It was in great part due to his objections to DIP1027
that
it did not get accepted and his insight on the feature have been
invaluable.

In 2023, we took our first steps on a long road to regorganising
our
processes. We're continuing on that path in 2024 and expect to
pick up
momentum as the year progresses.

We hope that in time the contributors to OpenD will decide to lend
their time instead to the D language.

[1]
https://github.com/atilaneves/DIPs/blob/string-interpolation/Interpolation.md
[2] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/15715