The forked elephant in the room

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:45:18 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 10:06:47 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Monday, 15 January 2024 at 18:33:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 10:11:33AM +0000, IGotD- via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>>> [...]
>>
>> This is true, we have been repeating over the last decade or
>> so the pattern of attracting enthusiastic contributors due to
>> the technical excellence of D, only to have them turn around
>> and leave after coming to an impasse with the project's
>> management.  As I have said previously, the problem isn't so
>> much that things did not go their way; I think any reasonable
>> person would understand that in technical decisions there's
>> always pros and cons and one could go either way, and that
>> whichever way a decision goes, it would work out, one could
>> live with it.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Thanks for the write-up. I think it's true that these
> perceptions exist, and would like to ask you what you think we
> can do about it.

My humble proposal is to add another, language maintainer with
good social and technical abilities, (like Steven), and more
delegation (and trust!) towards 'experts' (Timon ...)

> If I can summarise my own opinions about contributions, it's
> that they're absolutely welcome, but that every change has
> trade-offs and each diff has to justify itself with positive
> ROI. Of course it's going to be frustrating to work for free
> and not have it pay off (it's happened to me multiple times),
> but it also can't be the case that the default is to merge PRs
> unless "there's a reason not to".

That was Andrei way of working, and Theo already wrote about the
drawbacks of that.

I think you guys should move away from seeing ROI only from a
technical point of view, you should include also the impact on
all the other aspect, you should look it at 360 degree.

I think UCORA can really help on that, but you all should first
recognise that this is a problem, and ask them directly for
suggestions.

My impression is that this change is happening, slowly but it's
happening. The elephant entered the room, don't loose this
opportunity to make a step towards D brilliant future.

/P