The forked elephant in the room

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 12:50:35 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 10:45:18 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:

> My humble proposal is to add another, language maintainer with
> good social and technical abilities, (like Steven), and more
> delegation (and trust!) towards 'experts' (Timon ...)

I'd just like to say something about this. I've seen it repeated
that we should delegate, as if we aren't aware of this, or are
afraid to do it, or whatever. Well, we are aware of it, and we
aren't afraid to do it.

We do it when we can. Two examples currently in progress: Mathias
is steadily chipping away at dub issues and Robert is working on
the Bugzilla to GitHub migration. These are people working in
their own time, on their own dime, to handle things the DLF asked
them to handle. Once they became regular members of our monthly
meetings, then over time they became integral members of the
team. That makes it a lot easier to ask them to get things done.
We know what they'd be willing to do.

I periodically reach out to people and ask if they're interested
in helping us tackle something. Some tell me they'd like to, but
just don't have the time for it. Others tell me they're happy to,
then in practice they never find the time for it. That tells me
they said yes with good intentions, but weren't particularly
motivated to work on that task.

And that's no slight on them. I totally get it. I might ping a
time or two over a few weeks, but I'm not going to be pushy about
it. Very often, they're contributing to the broader community or
ecosystem in other ways already, anyway.

One of my goals is to alter that situation such that when we have
any given task, we have a general idea of who would be motivated
to work on it. To that end, I've been reaching out to some
long-time D users to expand membership in our monthly meetings
for the past several months. As a result, we've seen some great
contributions that otherwise probably wouldn't have materialized
(and that's in addition to the valuable insights and feedback
they provide on the topics we discuss). I anticipate that not
only will we see more such, but we'll be in a better position to
find alignment with things we need to do and the things those
members want to achieve, and so we'll be able to delegate more
tasks more often, and they'll be more willing to get them done.

Of course, I can't expand the monthly meetings indefinitely, so
I'm also reaching out to chat with other members of the community
to get a feel for who's interested in doing some of the work we
need done and what kind best suits them. The more we can make
that kind of match, the more likely they'll be willing to
prioritize that work over something they might otherwise be doing
with their time.

So yes, we want to delegate. We just have to have the right
environment and the right people to do it. We're working on
creating that environment for those people.

> I think UCORA can really help on that, but you all should first
> recognise that this is a problem, and ask them directly for
> suggestions.

Yes, we are working with Ucora already. Walter and I are
participating in their executive coaching program. We just had a
few weeks off for the holidays, but we're back in the saddle this
week.

> My impression is that this change is happening, slowly but it's
> happening.

Yes. Unfortunately, slowly is the name of the game for now. But
I'm optimistic we'll pick up momentum over the next few months.
We've got Ucora's advice and guidance, but they aren't pushing
any sort of structures or frameworks on us. We (the DLF) have to
build up our processes ourselves in a way that makes sense for
us. It's not going to happen overnight, nor anywhere as quickly
as we'd like it to. But we are finding our way.

>> Perhaps we need to update the contributor guide.

That's one of the things on our TODO list. That falls to Razvan
and Dennis as our pull request and issue managers. I've discussed
it with them already in our regular weekly meetings.