The forked elephant in the room

Hors q at q.com
Tue Jan 16 15:37:48 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 10:33:13 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 00:14:50 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. We also have some contributors who have a long track
>>> record of superb contributions. They also have a consistent
>>> commitment to promptly fixing anything that goes wrong with
>>> it down the road. Yes, they get a lot less scrutiny. They've
>>> earned it.
>> Care to give a few names?
>>

> What is your contribution to D?
>
> As Walter says forks are good. But please go work on your fork
> and make it great, rather than complaining here.
>
> If OpenD is good, it will be good competition to D and help
> spur things. But on the other hand, it requires full time
> dedicated & knowledgeable people to maintain a language, so it
> remains to be seen whether anything comes out of the fork.

Yet another person telling "don't complain, just do things", I
got tired from these, nothing works that way. Complaining is
needed for improve.

> What is your contribution to D?

The fork, OpenD is pretty enough, contribution doesn't have to be
directly change in original code.

> But please go work on your fork and make it great, rather than
> complaining here.

Do you think all people do here is just sit and complain? Do you
even check OpenD's codebase for updates?