The forked elephant in the room

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:52:45 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 02:33:32 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 01:37:40 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 01:11:16 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> yeah but D pretty much only has to get Walter and Atila to
>> agree on it. It's not like there's vast amount of
>> stakeholders, or committee members that you need to get on
>> board like with C++.
>>
>> It should actually be an advantage for D but somehow its not.
>
> Pros and cons I imagine to that that, though I'm not trying to
> push any DIPs,
>
> I think we also need to think about how to grow the team and
> get them more help. Many other language foundations have money
> behind them to back a few full-time developers.

And it didn't fly down from the sky. Donors are humans too so
without a social side to D management, your aren't getting much
financial support either. Most open source projects (Gnome,
Linux, Rust, PHP, Node.js, Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, ...)  have ways
to draw support and funding. We only have niche Dconf which has
only been about code, the other equally important part of any
foundation is severely lacking.

I'll do what I

👍