The forked elephant in the room

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:05:19 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 14:38:36 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 12:50:35 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 10:45:18 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
>> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I'd just like to say something about this. I've seen it
>> repeated that we should delegate, as if we aren't aware of
>> this, or are afraid to do it, or whatever. Well, we are aware
>> of it, and we aren't afraid to do it.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Thank you Mike, just one point about delegation.
>
> It's not only related to the 'do that _specific_ things': you
> wrote about issues on dub, task about migrations. "to handle
> things the DLF asked them to handle", you wrote.
>
> I'm referring to delegation for _judgements_ on specific aspect
> of D ecosystem: we are seeing it right now, an incredible
> amount of effort spent by a lot of people to "justify" why CT
> string interpolation is not a 'nice-to-have'.
>
> The net gain for _everybody_ , Walter included, would have been
> to simply delegate that specific judgement to Timon: yes, we
> need full CT capable interpolation solution, let's tackle the
> next point.

Delegation of judgement 👍. I don't think Walter is an expert at
everything. So what it means is anything he doesn't understand
isn't getting in the language. I think Andrei and Co were onetime
trusted to do many things and that's what set D2 apart. That very
function is currently missing