The forked elephant in the room

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 18:28:33 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 16:02:28 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 23:20:59 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> People like Adam Ruppe and Sebastian Wilzbach understand
>> perfectly well that not every contribution is going to be
>> accepted. They don't leave just because they can't get their
>> way. They leave because they feel *personally* disrespected
>> and insulted in their interactions with D's leadership.
>>
>> When their contributions are ignored, and they have to wait
>> weeks or even months to get so much as an acknowledgement (let
>> alone a review) from leadership  [1], they feel personally
>> disrespected and insulted.
>
> I wrote a spec for that PR and tried to keep Adam informed
> about my progress as it was going on. I'm not sure what else I
> could have done in this specific case other than do it sooner,
> I'm more than willing to listen to suggestions. I'm still
> trying to get it merged.

The problem is not what you did in this specific case; it's the
fact that, by the time he submitted the DIP 1036e PR, Adam's
relationship with D's leadership had *already* deteriorated so
much that he felt only drastic action would get his point across.

What you (and Walter, and Andrei) could, and should, have done is
spent the last 10+ years treating Adam with the respect and
professionalism he deserved. What you can, and must, do now is
(a) determine why you failed to do so, and (b) make plans to
ensure that those failures do not recur in the future (either
with Adam, should he return, or with other contributors).