Should I invest time in D?

Binarydepth binarydepth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:14:19 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 07:19:28 UTC, Lars Johansson
wrote:
> After years of procrastination, I at the end of last year
> finalized Rey Valesa's great dlang/vibe tutorial
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/gnluupbilugncznkffuo@forum.dlang.org.
> I had planned to proceed with a deep dive into D.
>
> With the post 'Cloning D', it looks like Pandora's box has
> opened.
> I do not want to be a part of such community and the future of
> D does not look good. The alternatives do not look good either.
> Immature, boring, too restrictive etc. Is assembler the choice
> if you want to add a low level language to your Intel toolbox?
> I'm seventy one, so I do not have all the time in the world.  I
> have procrastinated too long already. My humble question is
> 'Why should I use D?'. I am greatful for any polite answer:)

I vouch for friendly community in my limited sample of
interactions though and a fork is not a bad thing. I came because
I was curious about D's shape nowadays. I considered D in the
past but went C++ even when my wish is D really.

I understand the higher value of your time and energy and
certainly don't take it casually. There is an argument of fun of
course and motivation too. My personal opinion is a programmer
who is good is usually someone who likes problem solving (hence
fun) but also has a motivation which is either money or some
computing problem. Computing problems/applications have many
branches for each specific case.

There are many aspects in development that need to be weighted
too ad that is where the features of a programming language take
hold. In some languages some things may even take 10 minutes
while in the other language it takes 2 hours as an example and
this is a huge thing for commercial software AKA Implementation
costs.

But we cannot delve more into your decision until we know what
are your motivations and also describe your concern beyond a
metaphor of "Pandora's box". The question is, What is wrong with
the Pandora box for you? Have you decided on a programming
project already and what do you hope to achieve?