I approved DIP1036e

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 09:49:14 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 09:29:03 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 20:42:24 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> DMD is pretty friendly to build from scratch. On my machine:
>>
>> time make debug
>>
>> takes 26 seconds to build on an ancient Linux box.
>
> It doesn't work like this. The process of building DMD starts
> from going to https://github.com/dlang/dmd and then reading (or
> at least skimming through) a number of web pages and clicking
> through them to navigate to the right place with the
> appropriate build instructions:
> * https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
> * https://wiki.dlang.org/DMD
> *
> https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor#Building_from_source
> * https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix
>
> This kinda violates the
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-click_rule, which isn't a
> gospel, but still has some merit. All of this together is
> surely doable, but takes way longer than 26 seconds and the CPU
> speed isn't the bottleneck.
>
> And I'm even not talking about building D compilers on
> unpopular marginal operating systems, such as Windows, which
> barely have any support at all:
> *
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/nrctztchyvfluyiohwvo@forum.dlang.org
> *
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/yrczwiwfofqkqcvnraqc@forum.dlang.org

Funny thing is, DMD is super easy to build on Windows. You just
have to somehow figure out to `rdmd build.d` in the `compiler`
directory and then it's all good. Phobos/Druntime on the other
hand simply cannot be built on windows, because instructions tell
you to use `make` that "comes with dmd`, and it just doesn't :)