I approved DIP1036e

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 09:29:03 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 20:42:24 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> DMD is pretty friendly to build from scratch. On my machine:
>
> time make debug
>
> takes 26 seconds to build on an ancient Linux box.

It doesn't work like this. The process of building DMD starts
from going to https://github.com/dlang/dmd and then reading (or
at least skimming through) a number of web pages and clicking
through them to navigate to the right place with the appropriate
build instructions:
* https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
* https://wiki.dlang.org/DMD
*
https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor#Building_from_source
* https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix

This kinda violates the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-click_rule, which isn't a
gospel, but still has some merit. All of this together is surely
doable, but takes way longer than 26 seconds and the CPU speed
isn't the bottleneck.

And I'm even not talking about building D compilers on unpopular
marginal operating systems, such as Windows, which barely have
any support at all:
*
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/nrctztchyvfluyiohwvo@forum.dlang.org
*