I approved DIP1036e

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:31:11 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 15:03:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> button for those, it's not worth my time.)  We're talking about
> people who have had a long history of contributing to D getting
> frustrated with the way they were treated *in spite of having
> actively contributed* to D.

I'm going to leave a few paragraphs here about this and then I'll
say nothing more about it. And I want to be clear that these are
my personal thoughts, not any sort of "official" thing on behalf
of anyone in the DLF.

Whatever went on in the past, we have been actively working to
make things better. When Grim posted his rant about deprecations,
we implemented a new deprecation policy and actually started
reverting deprecations. And though I know he has accused us of
making no progress on the gripes and wishes, we actually have
done so. That it hasn't been publicized is on me. Updating the
list with the status of the points we've addressed is on my TODO
list, but it's been a low priority for me.

After Adam made it known to me in an email last year how he
really felt, I put him at the top of my list when I started
reaching out to long-time contributors for one-on-one chats. We
brought him into the meetings and he got Walter to accept the
@standalone feature early on. When he brought in 1036e, Walter
agreed to give it a fair evaluation. Adam was unhappy that Walter
wanted a spec, so Atila agreed to put the editions proposal on
hold to get it done (and please, let's not rehash the argument
about reading code vs. writing specs).

All of this despite new features being on hold while we are
focused on stabilization *and* editions being a very high
priority. And despite the verbal abuse that Adam heaped on us in
our meetings and repeatedly in the Discord server.

So please excuse me for being blunt when I say it's getting
really tiresome hearing that we treated Adam badly here. Again,
whatever happened in the past, that was not what was happening in
this situation. He was at the table, actively being listened to,
and actively providing feedback in our meetings.

I was extremely disappointed when he decided to follow the path
he chose. I had high hopes that we were at the beginning of a new
stage in our relationship with him. I like Adam, I admire the
volume of code he has produced over the years, and I appreciate
the untold lines of text he's written and hours he's spent
helping new D programmers find their way.

I just wanted to leave this here as my personal perspective on
what's happened the past few weeks. I have no interest in
debating anyone about this and I'm not going to engage with any
rebuttals.

We have work to do, and this topic has been beaten to death ten
times over by now. Contributors have felt disrespected and
ignored. We hear you. We all recognize and accept that we need to
take steps to prevent this sort of thing from happening again in
the future and provide the means to resolve it if it does.
Reiterating and rehashing the accusations again and again is just
going to keep these threads mired in multiple pages of points and
counterpoints while adding no value to the conversation, doing
nothing to help move us forward, and just filling the place with
negative vibes.

Contributor relations need to improve. We get it. So I implore
everyone to please lay this to rest and let's get on with the
business of making things better for all of us.