The forked elephant in the room

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:43:42 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 17:07:52 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 16:07:58 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 10:58:07 UTC, Dibyendu
>> Majumdar wrote:
>>> As a bystander here I have never observed anything good
>>> example from the D core team, so not sure what you are
>>> talking about. All the disrespect, vitriol seems to come from
>>> so called contributors. If it was me, they would just be
>>> kicked out if the attacks were personal and disrespectful.
>>
>> The D core team is always courteous on the forums, but the way
>> they handle contributions often displays a lack of respect for
>> contributors' time and work. I gave some examples in an
>> earlier post. [1]
>>

>> [1]
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/hmaiefygkvboruvheakv@forum.dlang.org
>
> I had a quick look. To be honest none of those examples show
> disrespect toward contributors. In fact at least 2 of them show
> disrespect toward Walter.
> So I still do not see your point here.

When someone submits a contribution, and you make them wait for
weeks or months before you even acknowledge their work, the
message you are sending is that their work is not important and
their time is not valuable.

When someone shares their ideas, and you dismiss them without
even attempting to reach a common understanding, the message you
are sending is that their ideas are not worth listening to.

When you require others to follow rules and processes, but exempt
yourself from them, the message you are sending is that you do
not view those people as your equals.

No matter how polite you are, if you treat people like their work
is not important, their time is not valuable, their ideas are not
worth listening to, and they are not your equals, then you are
not treating them with respect.