The forked elephant in the room

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:40:51 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 18:43:42 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> When someone submits a contribution, and you make them wait for
> weeks or months before you even acknowledge their work, the
> message you are sending is that their work is not important and
> their time is not valuable.
>
> When someone shares their ideas, and you dismiss them without
> even attempting to reach a common understanding, the message
> you are sending is that their ideas are not worth listening to.
>
> When you require others to follow rules and processes, but
> exempt yourself from them, the message you are sending is that
> you do not view those people as your equals.
>
> No matter how polite you are, if you treat people like their
> work is not important, their time is not valuable, their ideas
> are not worth listening to, and they are not your equals, then
> you are not treating them with respect.

Hmm, my reactions are:

* You have to live in the real world. Even in paid work, your PR
can languish for ages, and sometimes never get merged.
* It is not because people don't respect you - the more mundane
reason is they haven't got the bandwidth, and you didn't make it
easy.
* I dread looking at complex PRs myself.
* If I want my changes to go through it is up to me to make it as
easy to consume as possible. This means I may need to break it up
into palatable steps, document thoroughly, do in-person or zoom
walk through of the changes; understand concerns, and address
them.

This is how things work everywhere.

Secondly - of course you are not equal. The language has
designated leads, you are not and cannot be equal to them; they
have a final say.