The forked elephant in the room

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:51:48 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 20:26:50 UTC, Meta wrote:
> There's plenty of blame to go around, and ultimately it just
> comes down to a clash of different personalities and outlooks.
> People have wildly different motivations, and different
> standards for what constitutes disrespect, and ways of dealing
> with it. Not to mention varying levels of maturity and social
> skills.
>
> Sometimes shit just happens and there's not much you can do to
> avoid or fix it.

Yes, that's certainly true.

My intent is not to focus on Adam Ruppe's case specifically, but
on the broader pattern that also includes former contributors
like Sebastian Wilzbach, Jonathan Marler, ag0aep6g, Suleyman
Sahmi (SSoulaimane), etc. When one relationship fails, that's
unfortunate. When a long string of relationships fail in the same
way, that's a sign of a deeper problem.

Even if we grant that there was nothing more to be done in Adam's
case, I think D's approach to contributor relationships is
leaving a lot of value on the table.