The forked elephant in the room

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:26:50 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 18:28:33 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> The problem is not what you did in this specific case; it's the
> fact that, by the time he submitted the DIP 1036e PR, Adam's
> relationship with D's leadership had *already* deteriorated so
> much that he felt only drastic action would get his point
> across.
>
> What you (and Walter, and Andrei) could, and should, have done
> is spent the last 10+ years treating Adam with the respect and
> professionalism he deserved. What you can, and must, do now is
> (a) determine why you failed to do so, and (b) make plans to
> ensure that those failures do not recur in the future (either
> with Adam, should he return, or with other contributors).

I mean, let's all be brutally real here for a minute. I've been
in this community since 2012, and I'm familiar with all the
regulars and even the old regulars who aren't around anymore.

Adam's always been a bit of a prima donna - the lone wolf
developer type who always wants to do things his own way or not
at all. If you subscribe to the Jungian personality model, he's
most likely an INTJ - very emotionally charged and willful, very
sensitive to issues of status and respect, and notoriously
difficult to work with.

There's plenty of blame to go around, and ultimately it just
comes down to a clash of different personalities and outlooks.
People have wildly different motivations, and different standards
for what constitutes disrespect, and ways of dealing with it. Not
to mention varying levels of maturity and social skills.

Sometimes shit just happens and there's not much you can do to
avoid or fix it.