I approved DIP1036e

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 00:10:26 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 17:49:22 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 17:38:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> But when we have a long line of previously active, productive
>> contributors walk away, we have a problem.
>>
>> We should be growing the number of contributors, like with
>> Linux kernel developers, not bleeding them.
>>

> I feel that with any project, there will never be the same set
> of contributors over a longish period of time. This is true
> even in commercial organizations, where people come and go. In
> fact the health of the eco system is actually that no one is
> indispensable. Organizations will often fire talented people
> who are disruptive.
>
> I feel D has been remarkably successful in attracting
> contributors.

Naa,man, I doubt you have any idea the background story of this
whole conversation. I get that you're pumped up about D, but
you're missing a lot of context.

Maybe let those who have context of the history hash it out
themselves. You've already stated you're not active in here.

Mike admits they're working on improving things. I've been on and
off here since 2014 and I've seen quite a bit. I'm kinda sad a
number of the people who left were once super active in the
community. I hope we find a way to improve the experience of
contributors. Imagine where the community would be if we had all
those guys still actively participating in the community.

As much as it might frustrate some folks here, every leader gotta
deal with complaints...and will need to listen, communicate,
admit (when necessary), and assure memebers of the willingness to
improve. That alone something. We're not robots, we're humans, so
the social side of managing a community matters. I however would
urge doing that without throwing insults or being harsh.

Big shout out to Mike for the always calming things down in this
regard.