I approved DIP1036e

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Jan 18 18:26:20 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 05:49:22PM +0000, Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 17:38:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > But when we have a long line of previously active, productive
> > contributors walk away, we have a problem.
> >
> > We should be growing the number of contributors, like with Linux
> > kernel developers, not bleeding them.
> >

> I feel that with any project, there will never be the same set of
> contributors over a longish period of time. This is true even in
> commercial organizations, where people come and go. In fact the health
> of the eco system is actually that no one is indispensable.
> Organizations will often fire talented people who are disruptive.

The way D is being run, it *should* have been a commercial organization
where the leadership is free to impose whatever arbitrary standards they
want to, and the employees either suck it up or get fired. It'd have
been more successful that way.

Unfortunately, this style of management isn't working very well in a
volunteer-driven open source project. Our history proves this.

> I feel D has been remarkably successful in attracting contributors.

Because D, the language, is just *that* good.  It's very close to my
ideal of what a programming language ought to be.  Which is why I'm
still here.  I want to see D succeed.  If D were any less, I'd have
walked away too.  I could be doing a lot of other things with my free
time.

Klein bottle for rent ... inquire within. -- Stephen Mulraney