I approved DIP1036e

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Jan 19 00:29:44 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 12:17:13AM +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 15:03:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 02:02:56PM +0000, Dibyendu Majumdar via
> > Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> > > It only proves my point, because the only people not nice on these
> > > forums are these so called contributors, many of who actually have
> > > made no contribution but are happy to make a lot of demands as if
> > > its their right!
> >
> > That's irrelevant.  Some of the people who left recently were *very*
> > active contributors, who have had a lot of work merged and who did a
> > lot of user support on their own free time.  We're not talking here
> > about the regular whiners who show up out of nowhere with strange or
> > unreasonable demands ...  while not lifting a finger themselves.
> > (Personally I just hit the delete button for those, it's not worth
> > my time.)
>
> how do you know even those folks aren't contributors financially and
> other means? Would be a mistake to assess complaints based on such
> credentials.

I said specifically I was *not* talking about them. :-D

The "regular whiners" I was referring to are those who show up out of
nowhere and start asking "does D have X, Y, Z?" and then proceed to
whine "why is X like this? It should be more like X2!  And Y should be
more like Y2! And Z shouldn't even exist!  D sux, fix it or I'm
leaving!"

> Walter has a saying that people complain because they have interest in
> the language and care about it. I think that's a very positive way to
> look at it.

Well, that's why I'm still here and complaining. :-D  Or at least, I try
to post positive things about D when I can... but sometimes when you've
been around for a long time and seen things, it's hard not to voice
problems that you feel should have been obvious to everyone but for some
reason aren't. (Or so it appears.)

The best compiler is between your ears. -- Michael Abrash