The forked elephant in the room

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jan 30 14:27:18 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 13:06:08 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:

> I certainly thought at the time that importC was a reaction to
> Zig doing it. I recall vaguely you started work on it after
> that thread.

It's not full ImportC, but I remember Walter was talking about
adding C header translation to the compiler [well before
that](https://forum.dlang.org/post/p59jdq$2ttu$1@digitalmars.com), and apparently it was an old idea by then:

> I have thought about building this into D many times,
> especially since the Digital Mars C compiler is now available
> since it is Boost licensed.

I don't think it would have been a big leap from that to
compiling arbitrary code (the implementation would, but not the
idea). Jacob Carlborg embedded dstep in the compiler in 2013:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/ks3kir$1ubq$1@digitalmars.com

Note Dicebot's comment:

> While this a relatively common request

All this is to say that the idea was floating around before Zig
existed. It's the implementation that's important.