The forked elephant in the room

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:06:08 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 00:57:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/29/2024 1:34 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 17:04:02 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't know Zig did that until after I did ImportC.
>>
>> When did you start on importC?
>>
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/yocvibzernkchgsbcpyb@forum.dlang.org
>
> That post was Dec 3, 2020. The PR for ImportC was May 9, 2021,
> about 5 months later. When did I start ImportC? I don't recall.
> I don't recall reading that thread, either, I don't read all
> the messages, and am generally not interested in detailed
> comparisons of D with other languages (as it is an endless
> timesink).
>
> ImportC grew out of my discussions with Atila about dpp.

It doesn't really matter I guess, but its interesting that the
discussion I pointed to actually suggested importC and dpp was
mentioned, so it seems either you or Atila saw that thread. Maybe
a delayed subconscious reaction.

I certainly thought at the time that importC was a reaction to
Zig doing it. I recall vaguely you started work on it after that
thread.