Zig's Andrew Kelley: "The compiler is too dam slow, that's why we have bugs..."

cc cc at nevernet.com
Tue Jan 30 20:29:02 UTC 2024

On Monday, 29 January 2024 at 08:04:57 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> I'm glad Andrew too has realized in what order to fix things -
> we all should consider performance-problems bugs.
>
> See:
>
> https://youtu.be/5eL_LcxwwHg?t=565

Honestly the speed of dmd is a miracle I take for granted too
often.  It's more than just a convenience, it contributes to a
harmonious state of mind that I have no doubt improves the
performance of my work and the motivation to continue it.  I
don't doubt at all that, across a long enough period of time,
bugs could statistically accumulate more in an environment with a
painfully long build process than in a comparatively faster one.
Even if you're a diligent coder and you always "do the job right"
and make the appropriate tests and so on, there's always a point
where you're getting up for coffee breaks on every CTRL-B,
turning away from the screen, walking into a different room and
resetting your mental frame, leading to ideas getting lost in the
carpet instead of remaining fresh in your mind.