Zig's Andrew Kelley: "The compiler is too dam slow, that's why we have bugs..."

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:34:34 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 20:29:02 UTC, cc wrote:
> On Monday, 29 January 2024 at 08:04:57 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
>> I'm glad Andrew too has realized in what order to fix things -
>> we all should consider performance-problems bugs.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5eL_LcxwwHg?t=565
>
> Honestly the speed of dmd is a miracle I take for granted too
> often.  It's more than just a convenience, it contributes to a
> harmonious state of mind that I have no doubt improves the
> performance of my work and the motivation to continue it.  I
> don't doubt at all that, across a long enough period of time,
> bugs could statistically accumulate more in an environment with
> a painfully long build process than in a comparatively faster
> one.  Even if you're a diligent coder and you always "do the
> job right" and make the appropriate tests and so on, there's
> always a point where you're getting up for coffee breaks on
> every CTRL-B, turning away from the screen, walking into a
> different room and resetting your mental frame, leading to
> ideas getting lost in the carpet instead of remaining fresh in
> your mind.

I see a lot of posts about the speed of dmd. I've been basically
using ldc exclusively when I switched to mac M1, and, I haven't
been very disappointed.

I'll say this, compiling my work project with dmd is 100x slower
than compiling my personal projects with ldc.

I don't know if it's LLVM, is all I'm saying.

-Steve