Replacement of code-d extension for vscode?!

Tim Moldazhan tim.moldazhan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 21:21:21 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 20:24:20 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 19:27:36 UTC, Tim Moldazhan
> wrote:
>> I hope that D will replace C++ soon and overtake Go! It looks
>> like the https://github.com/Pure-D/code-d extension for vscode
>> is outdated and no longer developed. To build small C++
>> projects I use the excellent "chalet" build system from here
>> https://github.com/chalet-org/chalet as cmake is too annoying.
>> The chalet developers have an awesome extension for vscode
>> here https://github.com/chalet-org/vscode-chalet. If anyone is
>> familiar with typescript, can you remake the extension for
>> dub? Such an extension is really missing for D!
>
> What do you mean "outdated"? Last commit "last month"
>
> Together with https://github.com/Pure-D/serve-d it is
> developing and improving (thanks Webby) continuously.
>
> PS D probably never replace neither C++ or Go

I would remove support D for visual studio and focus on
cross-platform editors like vscode, atom, because Visual Studio
and MSVC are no longer in demand these days. For C++ today, the
best choice is the gcc compiler vscode editor on Linux OS. But
C++ itself is also outdated language and today Go is in the lead
thanks to its built-in package manager and network focus, which
C++ does not have. The D language is keeping up with Go. I think
the D language has a great future if the community pays more
attention to network development, coroutines, chans and etc, of
course makes all of these things by default in the standard
library like Go does.