[Dlang-internal] Regression control & breaking changes policies

Walter Bright via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 4 17:15:36 PST 2016

On 12/4/2016 3:52 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>     If any breaking change is detected in both master and stable that doesn't
>     come at least with detailed explanation in the changelog, it has to be
>     reverted unconditionally.
>
> This is a very simple and harmless way to improve on goals (1) and (2). I have
> noticed that reverting of merged code is often viewed as something damaging and
> even disrespectful - it isn't! By reverting a PR one immediately fixes the
> problem in relevant branch causing less trouble for other developers while
> providing more valuable information (and regression test case) to revive
> original PR. Compared to trying to fix the problem in place it also puts much
> less stress on developer as one can take all the time needed.

This is a rather blunt hammer and I don't see how it is harmless. Reverting it
in stable or for a point release, ok. But in master? It may just require a tweak
or two. Consider that the PR may fix a severe problem, yet introduce a minor
regression. Having an inviolate rule removes judgement from the process.