[Dlang-internal] Regression control & breaking changes policies

Walter Bright via Dlang-internal dlang-internal at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 10 01:08:53 PST 2016

On 12/9/2016 9:06 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 04:39:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> The tangle of branches on this has reached a point where I suspect the best
>> way forward is to simply abandon them, and I can submit a new PR that is the
>> difference between master and what I have.
>
> This didn't work optimally because it's a mixture of the old approach to
> incrementally merging unfinished features (now spread over stable/2.072 and
> master/2.073) and transitioning the major part of the scope work to a feature
> branch.
> We now have to live with some safety related changes already being released, but
> there really isn't much confusing about the branches, other than you using
> -transition=safe and Dicebot changing everything to deprecations.
> So let's just resolve that argument and fix whatever branch differs from the
> outcome.

The problem is I just don't know what is different between the branches, master,
and what I have. The confusion about which bugs are fixed in which branch has
also come up.

With a new PR based on what I have, things become straightforward. I can ensure
the bugzilla issues are fixed and the autotester passes it and it all works with
the latest Phobos.