[Dlang-internal] dmd semver experiment

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:49:06 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 8 March 2018 at 18:25:44 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 10:48:15 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> v8.0.0 - Jan 1 2018
>> v8.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v8.1.0 - Mar 1 2018
>> v8.1.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v8.2.0 - May 1 2018
>> v8.2.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v9.0.0 - Jul 1 2018
>> v9.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v9.1.0 - Sep 1 2018
>> v9.1.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v9.2.0 - Nov 1 2018
>> v9.2.x - unscheduled patch releases
>> v10.0.0 - Jan 1 2019
>> v10.0.x - unscheduled patch releases
>
> Would make sense to release previews of the upcoming major
> release, maybe every other month to stick with todays pace.

These versions make no sense at all as they have no meaning. Why
making the change in the major version after 6 months? The API
changes during that time may be minimal...

After seeing this I would propose you start doing similar what
Java guys decided to do starting with the Java 18.3 (also called
month's release that increments from 0 up...