[Dlang-internal] The Phantom Zone

Rubn where at is.this
Thu Jan 18 03:24:36 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 at 03:23:31 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 1/16/2018 6:57 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> What I'm trying to say is that those should be extremely rare.
>
> Let's frame it another way.
>
> There have been 7733 PRs for dmd. Of these, 140 are open. Let's
> say 100 of those are stale and candidates for the PZ.
>
> 100/7733 is 1.3% accumulated over a period of what, 10 years?
> Isn't that "extremely rare"? But people do not look at the
> resolved PR counts, just the count of unresolved ones, and
> perceive it as a big problem.

It is a problem, reducing it to a percentage doesn't do it
justice. Let's say you are in a house and in that house there are
50 zombies and those are the only zombies that exist on Earth.
Does it really matter if that's only 0.0000006718624% of the
population? No, you are still going to have to fight through 50
zombies to get out of the house.

Clearing 140 pull requests is no small task, especially for how
few people there are. That's time and effort that is going to
have to be redirected from other tasks. Not only that, but
because some of these pull requests are years old, it's going to
take even longer for them to be fixed up and brought up to date.

Percentages have their place, this isn't the place for it right
now.