[Dlang-internal] (De)Duplication of information in DRuntime

Brian bcallah at openbsd.org
Sat Oct 2 18:25:16 UTC 2021

Hello all --

I posted a DRuntime PR
(https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/3577) syncing OpenBSD
dlfcn.h defines.

I noticed that some of this dlfcn information is both in the
OS-specific dlfcn.d file and the POSIX dlfcn.d file. Worse still,
the OpenBSD-specific version of dlfcn.d is markedly different
than the FreeBSD and NetBSD specific versions of dlfcn.d. The
FreeBSD and NetBSD specific versions of dlfcn.d duplicate
information that appears in the POSIX dlfcn.d file (e.g., the
Dl_info struct) whereas the OpenBSD version does not have (as
much) duplication of effort.

That leads to a few questions...
1. Is there some sort of standard rule for which duplicated
effort wins?
2. Is deduplication desirable?
3. (and most immediately important) Should I be keeping my PR
as-is or should I make the OpenBSD dlfcn.d look more like the
FreeBSD and NetBSD versions?

Thanks.

~Brian