[Dlang-internal] (De)Duplication of information in DRuntime

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Oct 10 16:48:11 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 2 October 2021 at 18:25:16 UTC, Brian wrote:

> That leads to a few questions...
> 1. Is there some sort of standard rule for which duplicated
> effort wins?

No, there isn't such rule. DRuntime OS dependent code is
currently chaotic. I posted previously that I wanted an API for
the OS dependent stuff and OS dependent code must be in their own
files.

> 2. Is deduplication desirable?

No, it isn't.

> 3. (and most immediately important) Should I be keeping my PR
> as-is or should I make the OpenBSD dlfcn.d look more like the
> FreeBSD and NetBSD versions?

I think we should use a generic version as much possible. This
means that each OS can have it's own dlfcn.d file but if POSIX
can be used this file should include the generic POSIX dlfcn.d
file.

We can have multiple dlfcn.d files but implementation should be
moved to the generic one as much as possible.