[Dlang-study] [rcstring] Defining rcstring

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Feb 2 18:06:35 PST 2016

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 19:31:55 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > On another note, how does this relate to discussions on adding reference
> > counting into the language?
>
> Thanks for your comments. This is a small and useful step that we can
> take and accumulate experience with before changing the language. -- Andrei

And I see no problem with that. I just think that we should make sure that
we don't do something with RCString that's likely to be incompatible with
switching to built-in reference counting if that ever gets added. And I
would expect that that would probably be invisible to how RCString is
normally used, but I think that we should make sure that we keep that in
mind in case there is something the ends up in the design which would cause
problems when changing to built-in reference counting, since we would
presumably want to avoid such problems.

- Jonathan M Davis