[dmd-beta] 64 bit beta for Linux

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 15:11:46 PST 2011

Hi,

I cannot actually comment on the 64-bit version, but as it is probably
also the candidate for dmd2.052 I'll take the opportunity to report on
updating to the latest revision from github a couple of days ago. As I
need a couple of patches, I cannot use the release version anyway. There
were quite a few problems getting my project (visuald) to compile (on
win32):

- bug 2962 was hitting me hard, asserting on
std.conv.parse!(real,string). I reported the workaround in the bug report.

- join(stringarray,std.string.newline) no longer works, you have to copy
std.string.newline to a local variable.

- the linker was bugging me with unresolved symbols from phobos until I
noticed that I was creating documentation while compiling. This enables
version D_Ddoc, which causes other declarations to be used in several
places. Unfortunately, these were not the same as the ones that were
used when compiling phobos, namely std.file.DirEntry.isDir and
std.file.DirEntry.linkAttributes, but there might be more. I can
understand the motivation of having a separate version with declarations
for the documentation, but these are likely to get out of date pretty
soon...

- after fixing that, the linker complained with this:
m:\s\d\dmd2\dmd\src\..\..\lib\phobos.lib(datetime)  Error 162: Bad Type
Index reference to type 1003

which boiled down to the linker not liking the type information written
for "enum DayOfWeek : ubyte". Using int as the base type fixed it, but I
guess this is not intended. I could not reproduce the error with a small
test file, though. While trying to narrow it down, I had to browse
through std.datetime. This is really difficult due to the unittests
distracting from the actual code so much. Actually I added a function to
visuald to remove them all shrinking the file to a quarter of its size.
I'm impressed by the completeness of the tests, but I would prefer to
find them in a separate file.

- I'm still using the d_time functions (e.g. std.file.getTimes), but it
seems the conversion from SysTime is wrong by a month (plus an hour, but
that might be due to wrong timezone settings).

- There's still that 32-byte ".exe" file in the windows\bin folder of
dmd2beta.zip

Regards,
Rainer